Thursday, August 26, 2010

Kirby in training

So I figured with the baby coming I really need to start training Kirby. It's not that he is a bad dog...it's just that we never really trained him. He just gets super bad on leash because he has leash fear. This is not because we never socialized him. When we lived in B-more he went to the park EVERYDAY to play with other dogs. Without his leash on. Big problemo now because I want to walk him without him flipping out! It gets scary and dangerous the further along I get.
So I bought a Cesar Milan book.

And I started out training. It really only consists of repition. We walk every morning before work. I love walking in the mornings because it is cool enough for both of us and there are less people/dogs to run into. So right now I am focusing on him not pulling on his leash - but walking beside me. He does better some mornings than others. But he is making some progress.

I also bought a shock collar - which I have yet to use! I guess I'm a little freaked out about it....it is supposed to shock him every time he barks. I think I'm going to take it back and get the other kind though - the kind that I can control when it goes off.

The root of the problem? We never told him he was a dog! He has been treated like a child....and I know - it is a disservice to him. But all we can do now is try to make everyday a new day and be better dog owners...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caesar Milan is awesome with rehabilitating dogs. I'm amazed by him. However, when we first got Ginger, I read one of his books and it made me a freaking nut! I forced Ginger to walk a half hour in the freezing cold every morning, and again in the evening. I wouldn't let her out the door unless I went first. I worried that I was doing EVERYTHING wrong.

It was only after I relaxed and stopped caring whether she went out the door first and stuff that I got some sanity back. Don't let him make you nuts! I'm not sure how I would feel about the shock collar because Ginger's not really a barker, but I do think what you're doing with the walks is good for Kirby, and you can take him with you when you take Lil Miss Richards in her stroller!