Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Book Review 1

I'm going to try and start writing book reviews. I would love to eventually freelance and I need to start practicing my writing. What better place to do that than here? Please feel free to critique!

'Running with Scissors' By: Augusten Burroughs

No one warned me about this book. It wasn't until I was sucked in that I realized the feeling of nausea wasn't going to go away until long after I put it down. The way Mr. Burroughs was able to showcase his confused childhood and his acceleration into adulthood all with graphic and vivid details made this book hard to put down, and made me grateful that it was a quick read. The life he was forced to live and the realities of feeling unwanted and unloved put the reader in a trance, feeling pity and anger throughout the book. I did feel something for all the characters and in that respect, Mr. Burroughs succeeds in pulling the readers in. I don't recommend this book, at least not for the faint of heart.

No comments: