Tuesday, March 03, 2009

If you have a baby, you won't be the baby!

That is one of my favorite lines from one of the funniest movies ever, Overboard.

I guess I just have babies on the mind. I've had "baby fever" before....but this time it's pretty bad. It could be that I have a birthday in a couple of months and I'm going to be 28. Man I used to think that was ancient! Or maybe it's because I feel like everyone I know is having a baby, or trying to have a baby, or expanding their family. Ok, that's an exaggeration....there are plenty of friends who aren't in family mode yet. But it just somehow feels right...like we should be trying for one.

Then my realistic side kicks in and says "of course you can't have a baby now!" I don't have time....wow- that sounds like a cop-out. Who does have the time? I know I can't do it while still in school, and I think that's why I want one, because I know that I really can't do it right now. You know, you always want what you can't have. But I go to school 2 nights a week. Ok, that's not bad. But on those days I try to leave for work 6ish (if I don't go to spinning at 5:30am) and don't get home until around 10:30 at night. So on those days I wouldn't see my baby and Tony would be a single parent. Who wants to sign up for that? Oh and the logistics...don't get me started.
If by chance I can accelerated the rate I am taking classes (currently I'm taking 2 classes per quarter) and possibly be done sooner, then maybe we can start trying next fall...if not, I won't be done with school until 2011.....and that seems like so far away.
On the flip side there is still so much we want to do before we are tied down. We would like to travel some more, save up some money....I could go on and on with excuses. I guess in the mean time I'll have to live vicariously through my friends with babies....Andi, Renata, Jen, Heather, Trysha.....

4 comments:

Josie said...

You have babies when you want them, not sure I was ever ready:-) When they come they come and everything changes for the better....I was in school and had days without the boys AND it gave them time to bond it made them a close. And it made me push through school faster.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I am well acquainted with this particular brand of fever! No words of wisdom unfortunately, other than that I don't really buy into the "you'll never be ready" saying. I think you'll feel it when you're actually ready.

Trysha said...

Sometimes babies come when you don't think you're ready but you really are. I don't think I was ever ready at 22, 23 or 27 but you do what you have to do when you have to do it. I applaud your decision to wait until it feels right. Kudos...and you get to go to work without graham crackers smeared across your shoulder for a few more years. :)

"I like it when she goes ba ba ba bub ba baba" LOL!!

Melissa said...

Dude - How can we have not gotten together yet? Seriously??!?!??