Tony's mom let me borrow her book "The Box Children" and I couldn't put it down. I finished it in 2 days. It was a quick read - about a girl growing up in the Texas panhandle with a crazy mom. It was somewhat depressing but it was a page turner.

I've also been reading "The Element". Background on this book: My management professor from last quarter gave it to me as a gift. I wasn't quite sure what she meant by "a gift" because she used that word quite a bit in class referencing the different material we were going over - or clips of speakers - or presentations - they were "gifts". She gave me the book because I had been disappointed in one of our advising sessions - it wasn't necessary, but she did it because she said she felt bad. (WHAT? Have you ever heard of a compassionate professor who actually cares what her students feel? One of the reasons I LOVED this class so much!) So I'm taking this book as an actual gift - a present. What do you think? Should I give it back to her after I read it?
This book is really good so far. I'm enjoying learning about all these people who found what they are good at, pursued it, and excelled. Isn't that every one's dream? To LOVE your job so much that it is no longer just a job?

I would love to get paid to read...at least I think I would. But maybe I wouldn't love it as much if I had to do it in order to get a paycheck? Nah, I would still love it. I can't get enough of books. You should see my "to read" list. It gets longer every day. So I've thought I would love to go into editing, but I am picky and wouldn't want to be editing math books. Maybe I would enjoy teaching people to read? Perhaps ESL? I also enjoy reading for people - one of the best jobs I have ever had was when I worked at the community college and I read text books for blind and dyslexic students. I LEARNED so much - even the subjects I didn't enjoy I still learned from. All because of reading an pre-nursing text book into a recorder I now know that the Penile Gland is pronounced "Pen - ill", NOT "pee-nul". BIG DIFFERENCE - unfortunately Tony didn't catch me saying that incorrectly until I was almost through with that chapter......I just hope the student listening knew I was pronouncing it incorrectly!
3 comments:
Have you read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls? It's a quick and interesting read.
A good business/mgt book is The Fred Factor. I forgot who wrote it but it really made me re-evaluate my job at the time and take a different approach.
I read to EMT-Dad, a nice break from the paramedic books. We're going to Arizona this weekend so I'm excited to get a new book to read. :)
Hey! I hope you get some time to read the batch of books I sent you last month sometime. I can't even remember what all I sent you! But I would highly recommend Revolutionary Road and Easter Parade by Yates because the dialogue is delicious. I recently saw the movie too and they did a wonderful casting job. Anyway, oh yeah, that fog one about the little girl getting lost is good too as far as fiction goes. Okay, enjoy, hope you're doing well!
Glass Castle was very good! I'm pretty sure that is one that Jesse gave to me! Thanks Jesse for always having excellent reads to share with me!
Right now I should be reading my finance text book...blah!
Post a Comment