Friday, June 26, 2009

Words about an Amazing Lady


My great grandmother passed away on Thursday morning, June 25th. She was 94 years old, and I am one of the luckiest people I know because I had the opportunity to grow up with her and know her. How many people do you know that still have a great grandparent at the age of 28? Not many.
She had suffered a stroke in May, but had gotten better, then the night before she died she had another one.
She was one of the strongest women I have ever/will ever know. She raised most of her 8 brothers, plus her own children. She had stories of when she was little and they would travel by horse and wagon! Isn't that crazy? How much the world changed in her lifetime?
I will miss her greatly - but I have the best memories to treasure. She and my great grandfather used to watch me and my sister when we were little and we would watch Young and the Restless with them and eat green apples. It's those little things that count so much. She would teach us how to sew and let us play with whatever we found.
I've been wanting to post this for a while, but I wasn't sure what to write. Because no matter what I write it won't be enough...it won't do justice. I just miss her. My heart will ache for a long time at the loss, that I won't see her when I go home anymore, that I won't get a grandma kiss from her again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I haven't been on this in awhile, so I'm sorry I'm posting this so late. I'm sorry for your loss Melissa, but what a blessing that you get to have such wonderful memories of her, and that you aprreciated the moments while you were living them.