Sunday, July 11, 2010

Jam Makin'....

I've been in the mood to make some jam, so when strawberries went on sale I went a little nuts. Like 12 pints nuts. I figured it was best now to start making Christmas presents, since come Christmas I probably won't feel much like shopping or making anything!
The jam turned out so tasty! Peaches went on sale this week - so last night I made strawberry/peach jam. Delish! I went a little rouge on the recipe, so it didn't quite set like I wanted it to. Tonight I'll add more sugar to it.
2 Cups Strawberry's (sliced/diced/processed)
2 1/2 Cups Peaches (same as above)
5 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1 packet pectin (I've begun using liquid - but powder is fine)
cinnamon to taste (I only like a little)

Bring fruit and sugar to a boil - let boil for a few minutes and get the peaches soft. Add lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir a lot! This needs to be at a rolling boil before you add the pectin. After you add the pectin let it boil for 1 minute (depending on elevation - I have to let it boil for a minute and a half). Take off heat.
In the mean time your jars and screw tops have been boiling in water - take them out as you fill them.

Now I got my strawberry jam to set without double boiling - but I think that might have been another reason my strawberry/peach didn't set last night. So this time after I fill the jars I will put them back in boiling water (2 inches above the top of the jars) for 15 minutes.

I also got some plums today so I'll be making that this week too.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, you are going a little jam nuts, huh? Nathan and I are planning to go pick our own fruite (whatever's in season) at this farm next weekend so I can start making my Christmas jam too. Strawberry peach sounds delish! Btw, did you ever get the jar I sent, along with your book? Haven't heard from you in a while!

Melissa said...

I got it! Thank you! The jam was gone within 4 days....I was going through an english muffin and jelly phase. I only gave Tony one bite!

Are you going up to Westminster? To Bogers? I think that's the name of the place we used to go.