Now that my grad class is over I've been getting to read more. Here is some of what I have read lately:
Girl with a Pearl Earring: Set in 17th century Holland. Very good read. Kind of a sudden ending, like maybe the author got tired of writing or was close to a deadline, but overall I really enjoyed it. Very quick read too, which was nice. I love books set around this time period. I'll have to see the movie now and compare it.
Oh My Stars: This book was set in the 30's. A girl from Kentucky is on a bus, on her way to San Fransisco to committ suicide. But the bus crashes and in a series of events Violet ends up a manager for a band. She had a rough life before things got good. Good book about preserverance and friendship.
The Glass Castle: Recommended from Jesse. I couldn't put this book down. I still can't get over how these children were able to overcome all these adversities and make something of themselves. Jeannette Walls tells the story of her childhood, growing up with an alcoholic dad and a mother who is near nuts. Throughout the book I was surprised that there wasn't more anger. I kept thinking about how pissed I would be, but Jeannette and her siblings just kept going on. Maybe it's because they didn't know any better, didn't know enough to be really mad, or maybe they had just accepted this life, knowing that someday they would have it better. I love that they helped eachother out above all. The importance of siblings really came through this story to me.
Case of the Mondays
14 years ago
1 comment:
Are you on GoodReads.com??
Post a Comment