We watched Into the Wild this week. I didn't think I was going to watch it (I DO NOT like Sean Penn), but my curiosity got the better of me. I read the book a while ago. It was a great book, written well, quick read, and my favorite thing about it was that Jon Krakauer didn't glorify Christopher McCandless, or his decisions. He just presented the truth (or as close as I suppose he could get to it), and it wasn't always nice. He wrote people's opinions on the tragedy, or as Christopher saw it, the adventure. The movie was close to the book. Of course some parts were left out, but overall it was accurate. The movie was quite long, but I am glad that I watched it. I think that Tony liked it a lot more than me, but that was probably because I knew what to expect.
I also read Love Eat Pray last month...ehhh. The first part about living in Italy was good, but the rest of it...I wasn't impressed. Who can take off one year from work to travel and find themselves? This isn't anyone I am ever going to relate to. I guess that it is just beyond my comprehension. People look so far outside of everything they know just to find out who they are. All that money and time hunting yourself down? After you 'find yourself', you better lock yourself away and never lose yourself again, it would be too expensive! I enjoyed the part about Italy mostly because I was going there, and I was trying to absorb everything about Italy I could find. I went into this book thinking this lady was just a housewife who had gone through a really bad time, had never been anywhere, and just wanted the opportunity to see the world. No, she traveled all the time before this! She is a journalist. The writing was ok, but I wouldn't recommend this book.
Case of the Mondays
14 years ago
2 comments:
Ohhh, we watched Into The Wild a couple of weekends ago. I really liked it. I thought Emile Hirsch did a good job. After watching the parts with the hippies I turned to EMT-Dad and asked him if he thought I could ever be a hippie. He just laughed. I'll take that as a no.
I had read Eat, Pray, Love about a year ago and I thought the same thing. Italy seemed to be written with zeal and bang and the rest of it seemed to wane and waver.
Post a Comment