Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Backpacking - hazardous for my Health








Destination: Upper Turquoise Lake; elevation 11,500 feet
Via: Beaver Creek Trail
Stats: 7+ miles, climbing from 8,000 ft. to 11,500 ft.
Me: First attempt at backpacking in to go camping. Carrying 60+ pounds on my back. NOT A PRETTY SITE!

I went into this overestimating myself...and underestimating the trail. I have hiked before, but never carrying the necessities to camp for a night. I thought I was completely prepared, right down to my plush hiking socks. Boy was I wrong. At one point I told Tony and Justin that if they would just push me over a cliff everyone would know it was a mercy kill. I've never done ANYTHING that physically hard in my life. EVER! My hips were the most painful. Every step....searing pain, so of course poor Tony had to hear me bitch the ENTIRE 6 1/2 hours of our journey up. He was so sweet and just kept encouraging me. Anyone else would have jumped at the chance to push me over into the creek. Part of it was probably the fatigue at being at such a high altitude.
I'm hoping this trip hasn't ruined me forever with backpacking....but I'm not making any promises at this point, a mere 3 days after returning.
The lake was BEAUTIFUL! I still would have appreciated it just as much had the journey not been as hard though. There was still ice in the lake! And snow patches everywhere. The lake is only accessible on foot (or by horse), so in that way it is pretty special. Very serene. And I do love camping. It was just me and 5 other guys though. 3 of them were Tony's friends from Minnesota, and they were great to hang out with! We also got to see a ginormous porcupine and some marmots.
I really can't believe I made it. I can't believe I didn't give into the urge to break down and cry and demand someone get the forest service to perform a rescue for me. I made it to the top, and it was gratifying.

3 comments:

Trysha said...

I always joke with EMT-Dad that this is why I don't excersize...too many people get injured working out. LOL!

The Hickmans said...

What's a marmot?

Melissa said...

A marmot is a rodent, often a groundhog is called a marmot. They are found in the Rockies, the Sierras, and other mountainous regions. They feed on grasses, roots and flowers. They are extremely social animals and they hibernate throughout the winter. They are thought to be the carriers of the bubonic plague, rather than rats.