Sunday, December 06, 2009

Pretty in Pink

When we were little, one of Amy and I's favorite movies was Pretty in Pink. Along with Grease and 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. I watched Pretty in Pink again the other night and I had forgotten how much I love that movie!!! It just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'm sure the nostalgia has more to do with times gone by than with the actual movie - but still. That movie is great. First of all - the pink Carmengia. That is still my dream car. Every time we see one I remind Tony that some day it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine. And I still think Molly Ringwald is one of the most beautiful actresses. What happened to her? I never realized until the other night how punk she is in this movie. And it's not necessarily her clothes or style, but it's her. It's her attitude. The places she hangs out. She stands out.
The first scene - where Steph hits on Andie - reminds me so much of Juno when Ellen Page talks about how the popular jock is supposed to like cheerleaders, but secretly wants to date the goth/the vamp/the nerd. And they know they can't get her.
Blaine wins your heart when he lets his inner nerd come out with the computer trick in the library. Ahhh, ancient IMing.
Duckie - oh Duckie. You can't talk about this movie without talking about Duckie. He's loved Andie for as long as he can remember. Maybe all of us at some point in our life can identify with a Duckie and Andie relationship. Having a platonic relationship that you want more out of - but you know the other person doesn't. I think that is why he is so relateable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beauty, unaccompanied by virtue, is as a flower without perfume.
.
.
.
.