Friday, February 19, 2010

Will he or won't he

The Sports world is a-buzz with talk about Mauer. That's Joe Mauer I'm talking about, the best catcher in the MLB, who plays for the Twins. You know, the one I obsess about....the one I have been 10 feet from when they played the O's and got completely out of my mind nervous and crazy. My number 1 on the laminated list (similar to Ross's list on Friends).
Oh, Joe. What's going to happen? He's free agent after this season, and everyone is eager to see what the Twins do. There is no way that they are going to be able to pay what the Yankees (boo) or Boston can pay, but they are going to be able to pay more with the opening of the new stadium. The Twins are a farm club team without a big payroll. They develop superstars and then release them. They have never paid top dollar (look at Johan Santana and Tori Hunter), in this era. Back in the Kirby Puckett era people were in it for more than the money, players were more faithful to "their team". Twins are excellent at identifying talent, building that talent, then not being competitive with pay.
The Twins' owner needs to step up. Start showing the money. The Twins NEED to sign Joe. Joe is on track to bat .400 this season.
I hope that Joe is in it for more than the money. He is a long term career player. And Minnesota LOVES him. He's a home town boy done good.
Joe's friends and family say that he wants to stay in the twin cities. But the Twins are going to have to offer he a fair amount. They cannot count on his faithfulness to outweigh a paycheck.
Joe is one of the best players in the league, there is no arguing that. The question now is whether he is going to be in it for the game or in it for the money. Sometimes I seriously wonder whether there is a difference, and I hope that Joe can prove me wrong.
Come on Joe - come on Twins -   don't make us wait all season in anticipation. Baseball needs a resurgance of players that are in it to play, the Twins need Joe, Minnesota needs Joe, and Joe will have to decide if he needs them.
Man I love baseball.

No comments: