Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Beautiful day for a Hike!

It feels like it's been so long since Tony and I went on a nice long hike. We couldn't wait any longer. With temps finally warming up we made our way to Eldorado Canyon State Park on Sunday. We took the Rattlesnake Gulch Trail. It was about 4 miles by the time we got back to the car....and it was a moderately difficult 4 miles in the snow. I'm definetly going to be sore tomorrow! But it felt so good to be outside enjoying the sunshine. It was a really cool hike too - at the end of the first 1.4 miles there are the remains of the Crags Hotel - a hotel that burned down in the early 1900's. All that remains is a retaining wall and the place where the oven was. Very cool! I just can't imagine how people got all the way up there way back when though. Then we hiked a bit further up to a look out on the continental divide.
It's just beautiful up there and we have really enjoyed all the hikes we have done in that state park (I think we've done almost all of them now). And one of the best parts about going there is getting to see all the climbers! It's intense to watch them on these vertical walls - I can't imagine what it would be like to get up there! Hopefully someday it will be me. If you weren't looking for them you would miss them.Its such an enormous slab of mountain, but if you look close enough you can see these ants making their way up.
(I was going to hold off on posting this until I uploaded the pictures, but who knows how long that is going to be - so I'll post the pics later)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been really itching for a hike too! I think we're going to Harper's Ferry the first day the temps go up to the more tolerable 50s or so. Glad you fit time in to do that with all that crazy school work!