Friday, January 29, 2010

Pay it Forward

Yesterday morning I woke up at 5:30 per the usual and in a fog wondered down stairs to feed Kirby and pour myself a cup of coffee. No coffee in the coffee pot, so I thought I forgot to program the timer. Then I realized the coffee machine was broken. Nuts! So I pulled out our french press that we use for camping. As I take off the top the plunger falls apart. I tried for 5 minutes to put it back together and finally gave up with the consolation that I could just run by S-bucks on my way to work. Not a bad consolation!
So I stopped by S-bucks and ordered my coffee - that's when the girl at the cash register told me my drink was taken care of today. WHAT? I just smiled and said thanks, but didn't push it. I figured I was winning something, like maybe I was the 20th customer or something. I really didn't want to prod because I was afraid they would take my prize away. Then the guy behind me ordered 2 small coffees and she said the same thing to him - his was taken care of. So he asked her why? And she said "someone came in this  morning and paid it forward". So he handed her his money and said - let's just continue that then. Upon which I almost started getting teary and I gave her my $5 too. I'm a selfish girl for thinking I would keep my $5 to myself. I was just shocked. So of course when I got to my car I started crying. It was the nicest thing a stranger has ever done for me that I found out about. Paying it forward? I thought that was only something you hear about in the news, not something that truly ever happens to you. And granted it wasn't something big - just a cup of coffee, but still - it completely made my day. Something so small, but it meant so much. It made me remember that there are still good people in the world - the type of people who just want to make a complete strangers day better because they can. Small gifts of kindness mean so much. Imagine if we all paid it forward when we were able to - just a little bit here and there, how much better the world would be? Even if it's only our little world in which we live day to day. I still get weepy even thinking about it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful revelation you had! I've always loved this concept and it really shows the good in humanity. I'd have to say (not to toot my own horn) the best I ever felt was when I paid a lady's toll behind me because she had let me squeeze in front of her when I ran out of lane. I always hoped the toll booth lady didn't pocket the cash and just take the lady's money. I drove off with the biggest goofy grin on my face.