Monday, January 18, 2010

Nothing like Homemade Bread

That's what I have been thinking for the past couple of weeks - craving homemade bread. So I did it today. I finally finished my paper (woo-hoo!) so I thought as a reward I would bake us some wheat bread. It's really not much of a reward. In fact, it's not really edible (I do have another loaf in the oven - so maybe that one will be better). I'm not sure what I did wrong but I'm thinking that perhaps bread making is something that takes practice to get good at. I think one of the things I did wrong was that I did it all by hand. You are supposed to use a standing mixer with a paddle or dough hook attachment - but I don't have one (as much as I cook I probably should, but my old mixer that I got for a wedding present is still working!). So I had to stir everything and my arms got so tired!! I finally gave up and just figured it would work out. It definitely looks like bread - it just doesn't taste great. It's not doughy and soft. It's more like a baguette.
I followed the recipe out of Martha Stewart but I think next time I'm going to use this one from a blog I found.
The positive side was that it smelled absolutely delicious! So if you have a good bread recipe send it my way! Next weekend I might try and make home made granola - hopefully with better luck.




No comments: