Continuing on my quest to eat more things homemade, today I made granola. AMAZING!! It turned out so tasty and made quit a bit. I put it on top of some fat free vanilla yogurt - I can't stop grinning it was so good! :) I want to package it up and send some out to people. It was really easy to make and now it's going to be a great snack during the week.
It would be awesome if I could get a really good recipe down pat and sell it maybe at the Farmer's Market in the summer. :)
Here is what I used. I got the basic recipe from a vegetarian cook book at the library yesterday. But it looks like a lot of other ones I have seen on the internet. The one thing is to keep stirring and moving it around - it burns quickly!! I would say every 4 -6 minutes stir it.
Fruit & Spice Granola
4 Cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 Cup unsweetened dried coconut
1 Cup sliced almonds
1 Cup pecans
1/2 Cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 Cup honey (I used raw blue agave and I have also read recipes that called for maple syrup)
2 Cups mixed dried fruit (I used 1/2 cup raisans; 1/2 cup dried blueberries; 1 cup craisans)
Sitr together first 7 ingredients
Melt butter with honey (or whichever sweetener you want to use) in a small sauce pan over low heat.
Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and toss.
Spread evenly on 2 baking sheets. Stir frequently and switch positions of pans until golden brown - approx. 30 minutes (maybe less).
Transfer to large bowl, add dried fruit and toss.
Bon Appetit!
Case of the Mondays
14 years ago
2 comments:
Send some my way! I eat granola every week day, I love it. And just like you did, I always put it over YoPlus Vanilla yogurt. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to make my own, I'll have to try it. Giant has a whole section of different kinds that you scoop yourself. My favorite so far was a flax seed (sp?) raspberry one. Yum!
Post a Comment